Emma and Colette’s Nut(y)ella Cake.
We had some great guests recently that had a particular liking for Nutella. I found a fantastic recipe to combine both their love for the nutty stuff and a little bit of Cinnamon Bear Lodge – Cinnamon Nutella cake. Suffice to say it was polished off pretty quickly when they got back from the slopes!!
- 3 eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 175g softened butter
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp milk
- 4 rounded tbsp Nutella or own-brand chocolate hazelnut spread
- 50g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 180C/gas 4/ fan 160C. Butter and line the base of a 20cm round cake tin or a 2lb loaf tin.
- Using a mixing bowl, or the bowl of an electric mixer, sift the sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and milk.
- Mix in the eggs. If you’re doing this by hand, beat with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes, or with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes. You want it to be light and fluffy.
- Pour three quarters of the mixture into the tin, spread it so that it’s level. You then want to spoon the Nutella on in four blobs. Pour the rest of the mixture on top, and using a skewer swirl it around a few times. Once you’ve done this, smooth out the cake mix so that it fully covers the Nutella.
- Sprinkle the nuts on top. Bake for approximately 1 hour. When it’s firm to the touch and springs back when lightly pressed, you’re ready. If it starts to brown too quickly, simply cover with foil.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes. When cool, turn it onto a cooling tray, peel off the paper and leave to fully cool.
- If you wrap it tightly in double thick foil, you can keep for up to a week, but if it’s anything like ours, it all goes pretty quickly!!